The 2019 Australian Coastal Councils Conference was held from 6 to 8 March, 2019 at the scenic coastal town of Kiama. It was hosted by Kiama Municipal Council and was the first time the conference had been held on the NSW south coast.
The theme for the conference was Coastal Challenges – Smarter Solutions and the program featured topics of significant interest to coastal councils and communities, including:
- Australian Coastal Cities – Climate Risks and Responses
- Coastal Policy Proposals for the 2019 Federal Election
- Online Short-term Holiday Rental Platforms – Update
- Smart City Strategies for Coastal Regions
- Smart Coastal Tourism Strategies
- Ocean Safety and Beach Management
Coastal case studies presented by representatives of member councils and other coastal stakeholders were among the most popular features of the conference.
The case studies provided valuable insights into the work being undertaken by coastal councils from all around Australia – the new ideas, the new research projects, the new science and the new approaches to coastal challenges which can be adapted for use elsewhere along the coastline.